A Hobbity Yule Calendar 2017

Discussion in 'Latest News' started by Pycella, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Pycella Member

[IMG]
    The Yule is almost here! This year, the hobbits of the Order will put up a hobbity Yule calendar right here on their noticeboard.
    From 1st December until 24th December, we will present you yuleish, hobbity surprises to help you prepare for the holidays and get into a cheerful mood. There will be recipes, drawings, craft ideas, music, and all sorts of silly things. The surprises will be presented here, in this thread, so keep your eye fixed on it! Unless you are Sauron; in that case, please look somewhere else! Don't burn our biscuits with that fiery gaze of yours...
    So, until our next meeting, as the Yule Wizard Gandalf says!
    Lithea, Neti, Mollywobbles and 5 others like this.
  2. Pycella Member

1c.png

Finally! December 1st is here, and so is our first hobbity Yule-themed surprise! And it is a special one: a moving picture made by our talented bard and painter, Miss Lina!

Biscuits fer Yule - a hobbit Yule song by Miss Lina

This is one of her Yule songs, probably inspired by her own childhood memories. Now, she made this sweet moving picture for it too! Later, she will put this up at her own burrow too. Thank you for adding it to the calendar, Miss Lina!

*sways and hums the song*
    Pennyroyal, Lithea, Neti and 4 others like this.
  3. Rubellita Member

Wonderful! Thank you, Miss Pycella and Miss Lina!
    Pycella likes this.
  4. Pycella Member

2.png

Our second Yule surprise has been delivered by our own Quick Post Hobbit, Miss Ambrinna! And it's about biscuits too, or cookies, whatever you prefer to call them! Behold, our first Yule recipe!

Ambrinna.png
    Miss Ambrinna delivering a biscuit recipe to an elluf in distress

Yule Moon Cookies

1 cup butter
    1 1/4 cup sugar
    2 tsp. grated lemon peel
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 1/3 cup flour
    1 1/2 cup grated almonds (blanched)
    1 tsp. vanilla

Icing:
    2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 1/2 Tbsp. water

Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy and light. Add grated lemon peel, salt, flour, grated almonds, and 1 tsp. vanilla; mix thoroughly. Place dough in bowl. Cover and chill thoroughly. When the dough is well chilled; or the next day, roll out dough to 1/8" thickness and cut with moon/crescent cookie cutter. Place 1/2" apart on un-greased baking sheet. Bake in preheated 375° oven for 8-10 minutes.

Icing: While cookies bake, combine confectioner's sugar, vanilla and water. Spread over the tops of cookies while still warm, but not too hot, as icing will melt. Thin with additional drops of water if glaze is too thick. Allow cookies to cool.

Yield: 10 dozen cookies
    Pennyroyal, Lithea, Rubellita and 6 others like this.
  5. Lina Chief

Ooh, grand! *licks lips* Now to find someone to bake those for me *looks around*
    Pycella likes this.
  6. Pycella Member

3.png

Time for another Yule surprise! This one comes from Master Wildigard. He sent a story he enjoyed a lot as a wee hobbit lad. A funny Yule story! Enjoy!

Life with Louie - A Christmas Surprise for Mrs Stillman
    Pennyroyal, Rubellita, Potty and 2 others like this.
  7. Pycella Member

4.png

For today’s surprise, I have prepared you a Yule Man paper doll:

Yule Man Paper Doll_1.jpg

At first glance, the feller might seem similar to a certain Order member, but that would be totally coincidental. The pointy hat seems to be bound to his head, but you can change his outfit and appearance using the provided options. You might want to add him a merry, red Yule outfit with a beard, or if you prefer dresses, I made one too. Who knows, maybe the Yule man lost a bet and he has to wear dress for that? I also added some useful stuff to the doll: Yule Man’s little helper (a garden dwarf) and a bottle of brandy to make sure the Yule Man can handle the busy Yuletide times without stress. Feel free to use the doll as decoration or give it to small hobbits as a toy.

IMG_20171203_125608.jpg

Here, the Yule Man is standing with his little helper and the brandy bottle. I just wish no one lights that candle…

I attached a printable version of the paper doll here. Merry Yule everybody and happy crafting!

Attached Files:

Lithea, Pennyroyal, Rubellita and 5 others like this.
  8. Lina Chief

Tee hee, grand! I bet the he'd love an even bigger bottle of brandy *nods*
    Pycella likes this.
  9. Potty Member

*peers*

Oh, that garden dwarf looks mighty familiar!
    Pycella and Wildigard like this.
  10. Rowana Voluntary Assistant Chief (Semi-retired)

A delightful Yuletide collection! I recently received this letter courtesy of the Quickpost and thought I should share it with everyone:

11. Pycella Member

5.png

Our fifth Yule calendar surprise will surely warm you up: it's a mulled wine recipe from Miss Lina! Just be careful with that "optional" brandy - if it's the strong stuff from Brockenborings, you can expect some trouble with the local bounders. But well, here it is!

Mulled Wine

I usually buy my mulled wine ready-mixed in the wine store, since the local merchants have a particularly grand and not too expensive version that I rather enjoy (although, I usually add a cheeky splash of rum to it). However, one year I decided to try out a new recipe at home, and looked around the Internet for some recipes. After trying out a couple, I found this one, and I haven't looked back since. It pretty much tastes how I want it:

From http://wishfulchef.com/gluhwein-mulled-wine/?ref=featured1

Glühwein
    • 1 bottle of bold dry red wine
    • 1/2 cup of brandy or rum (optional)
    • 1 cup water
    • 1 large orange, peeled then juiced
    • 1 lemon, peeled
    • 1 lime, peeled (optional)
    • 1/2 cup agave syrup or sugar
    • 5-6 whole cloves
    • 1 nutmeg, about 10 gratings
    • 1 cinnamon stick
    • 1 vanilla bean, halved
    • 2 star anise
    Peel large sections of skin from orange, lemon and lime. Over medium heat in a medium sized pot, pour in agave syrup and water, then add the peels and juice of the orange. Add the vanilla bean, cloves, star anise, cinnamon stick, and nutmeg gratings.

Bring to a boil, then simmer for about an hour. The liquid will reduce, so after around 30 minutes, add in about a half cup of wine. This allows the flavors to infuse and will create a syrup.

When your syrup is ready turn the heat down to low and pour in the bottle of wine and brandy. Bring back to a gentle simmer and heat for about 5 minutes or depending on how much alcohol you want to burn off you can simmer a bit longer. Ladle it into glasses and serve warm.

[IMG]
    Lithea, Pennyroyal, Wildigard and 3 others like this.
  12. Pycella Member

6.png

Today's Yule calendar surprise comes from Miss Ambrinna. This time, it's a pork pie recipe! Pork is an integral part of the Yuletide diet, so be sure to try this one!

Yuletide Pork Pie

2 1/2 lbs. ground pork
    1 1/2 cups cold water
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1/2 cup finely chopped celery
    1 tsp. ground black pepper
    2 bay leaves
    1 tsp. dried savory
    1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
    1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    Salt, to taste
    1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats Pastry for two double crust, 9 in. pies
    1 egg, beaten, for glaze

In a large, heavy frying pan combine pork with cold water and heat to boiling point. It should be slightly soupy. Add onion, celery, pepper, bay leaves, savory, rosemary, nutmeg and cinnamon. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 1 1/4 hrs, stir often. Add more water if mixture dries out. Halfway through cooking time, season with salt to taste. Stir in rolled oats and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 mins. Remove bay leaves and allow to cool (refrigerating will speed this up). Meanwhile, line two 9 in. pie pans with pastry. When meat mixture is lukewarm, divide it between two pie shells and spread it out evenly. Brush around outer edge of pastry with the beaten egg. Place top crusts on the pies and press gently around the edge to seal. Trim pastry, crimp edges and cut steam vents in top crust. Bake them in preheated 425°F oven for 15 mins., then reduce heat to 375°F and bake another 25 mins. or until crust is golden. Let cool 15-20 mins, then serve.

Pork by the fire.jpg
    Above: a pig warming up by the fire
    (pork roast was soon invented afterwards)
  13. Pycella Member

7.png

Today, we will start our day with a lovely Yule tune, picked by Miss Lina. It's a sweet version of the Pogues / Kirsty MacColl classic Fairytale Of New York. Really gets you into a merry Yuletide mood! *sways*

Katzenjammer, Ben Caplan And The Trondheim Soloists - Fairytale Of New York
    Lithea, Pennyroyal, Rubysue and 3 others like this.
  14. Lina Chief

Pycella likes this.
  15. Pycella Member

Thank you, Miss Lina! *cheers* and yay for the LOTRO bacon!
  16. Pycella Member

8.png

Today, it is time to do some crafting again! Yule trees seem to be an essential part of Yule decoration. The Grand Order will put up their Yule tree on 12th December, and you are welcome to join the fun! We hope that the Yule tree will stay intact, namely, we have a pig in the hall that loves eating Yule decorations.

If you can't get enough of Yule trees, you can make more! Here are some I have in my own burrow:

Yule trees.jpg

The first Yule tree (upper left corner) is made from paper snowflakes, cut by me and my little helper, Mini Pycella. The snowflakes could have been smaller and more spiky, this tree looks a bit plump. Well, a good choice for a hobbit I think! The second tree (upper right corner) is a postcard I got some years ago from the faraway lands of Gondor. They seem to have different Yule trees there! I'm planning to make a larger version of this one day, maybe for next Yule, so that I could use it as a painting. The third tree (at the bottom) is my favourite! It is an edible one, made from chocolate candies. The candies have been glued to a cone, starting from the bottom, and then I attached a small star with a stick on top. I used Yule chocolate (some had a baked apple filling, others ginger bread filling). But all kinds of wrapped candies should do - pick up your favourites! Here is a picture of making the tree:

IMG_20171207_132601_01.jpg

I used a fancy gluing tool to make this tree, but I bet any sturdy glue will do, like the slug glue used by the Quick Post. Some people also paint the cone, but I was a bit lazy there and didn't do it. The hardest part of making this edible tree is that you should avoid eating those candies during the crafting.
    Lithea, Rubysue, Potty and 4 others like this.
  17. Pycella Member

9.png

Today, our surprise is a Yule drawing made and delivered by our Quick Post Lass, Miss Ambrinna! Here, she opens the Yule post office. Time to send yer Yule postcards and gifts to all yer hobbit friends (and maybe it's wise to send some to Lobelia too, so she won't grumble that much when you bump into her during the holidays)!

Ambrinnas Yule pic 1.png

I wonder where this Post Office is, that place looks a bit chilly!
    Lithea, Rubysue, Simbo and 4 others like this.
  18. Pycella Member

10.png

Mulled wine is a fine Yule drink for sure, but if you want to try out something else, you could make some Yule mead. In my part of the woods, mead is something we usually drink during the spring, especially to celebrate the May Day. It is fairly easy to make, and usually, the mead has a very low alcohol content, so it is safe for smaller hobbits too. Here is a recipe I found and will try out this Yule. I translated it into English from a Finnish recipe you can find here.

Yule Mead

1 orange
    1 lemon
    150 g fresh ginger
    5 litres water (1.3 gallons)
    2 cinnamon sticks
    approx. 30 dried cloves
    500 g brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon fresh (compressed) yeast
    (raisins)

Wash the orange and lemon with water, but leave them unpeeled. Cut them into slices. Cut the unpeeled ginger into thin flakes. Pour the water into a pot and bring to a boil. Once it boils, take the pot from the stove. Add all the ingredients to the water except the yeast. Stir until the sugar has melted. Cover the pot and wait until the water has cooled to lukewarm. Now, it is safe to add the small piece of yeast to the liquid, so do it! Stir.

Cover the pot and let the mead sit in room temperature for about 12 hours. Strain the spices and the fruit from the mead. Pour the mead into bottles and seal them. Optionally, you can put a couple of raisins into the bottles before sealing them. This will make it easier to know when the mead is ready for drinking.

Refrigerate the mead. In three days or so, it should be ready for drinking (if you added raisins, the mead should be ready for drinking when the raisins float at the top of the bottles).

Yule mead.jpg
    Lithea, Rubysue, Potty and 4 others like this.
  19. Pycella Member

11.png

Today, we start the week with a Yule poem, written by me.

Yule poem picture.jpg

Old Miss Holly's Yule Eve

It is another cool Yule eve
    And Old Miss Holly sips her tea
    Her thoughts go well back in time
    To other Yules, so sweet and fine
    When her old cat still was here
    Those times were ever dear.

Holly shakes her head promptly:
    “Yule’s no time to feel lonely”
    “Let me go and see my neighbour”
    “Hear their children play in laughter.”
    So she steps out into the cold
    And starts to plough through the snow.

There, she sees the children play
    Enjoyin’ the cool winter day
    She joins the snowball battle rage
    Quite forgetting her old age
    In the end, they go back inside
    And dig into pork and pies.

Yet a small lass saves some pork
    And pours some cream into a mug
    She takes them out, to the porch
    Lays them beneath a festive torch
    Old Holly asks: “Tell me, little Miss:”
    “For whom do you leave this feast?”

“For the Yule Man, I know he’s real”
    “Every Yule, he comes here and eats”
    “He comes at night, and ere the dawn”
    “All the pork and cream are gone.”

Old Miss Holly smiles at the child
    How can imagination be so wild!
    Yet when she goes home, ever careless,
    Something is making her feel restless
    So she puts a cup of cream on the snow
    Back inside, she waits by a window.

And when she is almost sleeping
    She sees a strange creature creeping
    She darts outside, can’t believe her eyes:
    It’s her old cat, with a creamy smile!

“Hullo Holly, and a merry Yule!”
    “I’ve been thinkin’ a lot of you”
    “Sweet mem’ry from my previous life”
    “You always treated me so nice.”
    “Thank you for those lovely days”
    “Now, back to my mysterious ways…”

And so, the cat was gone in a breeze
    It all seemed like a peculiar dream
    But Holly smiled and whispered to herself:
    “Merry Yule to you, my dear old friend.”
    “Maybe we’ll meet again one day”
    “When we’re both cats, as they say.”

This poem is dedicated to all cats that have gone their mysterious ways.
  20. Pycella Member

12.png

Back to Yule recipes! Miss Lina might not give us many biscuits, but we got a lovely biscuit recipe from her! Just be careful after you have baked these (especially if you live in Bramblebury) - some mysterious biscuit crumbler might snatch them before you can say Lina Willowwood.

Kakemenn - "hobbiscuits" from the land of No-where*
    *could be Norway too

Makes anywhere between 2-4 dozen cookies (depending on the size of your cutter)

4 Tablespoon (50 g) butter, melted
    1/2 cup (100 g/.5 dl) sugar
    1/3 cup (1 dl) milk
    2 cups (240 g/5 dl) all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon ammonium bicarbonate (or substitute 1/4 tsp baking soda and 1/4 tsp baking powder)

1. In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter, sugar, and milk.
    2. In a separate bowl, mix the ammonium bicarbonate into the flour. Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Mix well, then chill for at least 2 hours.
    3. Once thoroughly chilled, preheat the oven to 350F/175C. Roll the dough out into a 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) thick circle and cut out shapes using a cookie cutter. Put the cookies on a baking sheet, gather up the remaining scraps of dough, re-roll, then bake for 7-10 minutes. The cookies should still be mostly white when taken out of the oven, but fluffy and not doughy. Keeps for about 3 weeks in a cookie tin.

"Keeps for about 3 weeks in a cookie tin..." Yeah, sure! Nothing this delicious will last that long when there are hobbits around...

The recipe has been snatched from this site: http://transplantedbaker.typepad.com/the_transplanted_baker/2010/12/kakemenn.html